- I am currently Director of Emerging Technologies at Extreme Networks.
- Before that, I was the CTO of EOLO SpA (previously known as NGI SpA), one of the largest Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) Internet Service Provider in the world. I spent 14 years there, and in 2015 I took a sabbatical to develop a somewhat peculiar new software-defined architecture (see BLU below).
- I completed my Ph.D. in Informatics at the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK. I also had lots of fun rolling out an experimental network (see Tegola below) to cover the most remote communities of the Scottish Highlands.
- In 2007, my research proposal on Content Delivery Networks (CDN) has been awarded funding from "Enterprise Ireland" and I've been a Research Assistant at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Two-year M.Sc. in Ubiquitous Computing at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- B.Sc. in Computer Science at the Università degli Studi, Milan, Italy. I also spent a memorable Erasmus year at the Computer Vision group at the Heriott-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
- I'm also studying part-time a B.Sc. in Astronomy at the University of Central Lancashire, UK. Space is fun!
Project: BLU, a large-scale commercial SDN architecture
Project: Tegola, a wireless testbed in rural Scotland
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi, Peter Buneman and Mahesh K. Marina. Tegola Tiered Mesh Network Testbed in Rural Scotland. In proceedings of ACM Mobicom 2008, workshop on "Wireless Networks and Systems for Developing Regions" (WiNS-DR). [pdf]
- Technical Report: Giacomo Bernardi, Peter Buneman and Mahesh K. Marina. Broadband for Rural Scotland: a white paper. [pdf]
- Talk: Presentation at the "Multi-Service Networks 2008" conference. Brendan Murphy award 2008 for the best presentation by a young researcher.
- Invited Talk: At the Department of Electrical and Systems Engineering (ESE), University of Pennsylvania. Tegola: a tiered mesh network testbed in rural Scotland. September 2008.
- Media Coverage: BBC news in June 2008: video1, video2, video3, post from the "Technology blog".
- Media Coverage: Interview on BBC Radio4 in June 2008: link.
- Poster: Our project was selected for the SET for BRITAIN 2009 event at the UK Parliament in London, as one of the most promising 'Britain's early-stage and early-career research scientists'. [poster] [flyer]
- Media Coverage: BBC radio interview at the 'Click On' programme on 09/11/2009: link (starts at around 10' from the beginning).
- Other: Video slideshow shown at the opening ceremony of the Informatics school, University of Edinburgh, in 2008: via youtube, via vimeo.
- Other: Motion at the Scottish Parliament, undersigned by 10 MPs, to recognise the importance of the project. Tegola was used to relay emergency calls during the storms of October 2011.
- Other: First prize in the UK-wide "NextGen Challenge for Rural Leadership and Community Development". November 2011.
Project: Stix, goal-oriented network management
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi and Mahesh K. Marina. A System for Easing Management of Broadband Wireless Access Networks. In proceedings of Extremecom 2009. [pdf]
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi, Matt Calder, Damon Fenacci, Alex Macmillan, and M. K. Marina. Stix: A Goal-Oriented Distributed Management System for Large-Scale Broadband Wireless Access Networks. In proceedings of ACM Mobicom 2010. [pdf]
- Demo: Giacomo Bernardi, Matt Calder, Dadmon Fenacci, Alex Macmillan, and M. K. Marina. A Demonstration of the Stix Management System for Broadband Wireless Access Networks. In ACM Mobicom 2010. [poster] [flyer]
- Demo: Giacomo Bernardi, Matt Calder, Dadmon Fenacci, Alex Macmillan, and M. K. Marina. A Demonstration of the Stix Management System for Broadband Wireless Access Networks. In WiNTECH 2010 workshop of ACM Mobicom 2010. Winner of the 'WINCOOL (aka the Next Big Thing in Wireless)' competition. [poster] [flyer]
Project: BSense, an automated broadband census system
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi, Damon Fenacci, Mahesh K. Marina and Dimitrios P. Pezaros. BSense: a flexible and open-source broadband mapping framework. In proceedings of Networking, May 2012. [pdf]
- Technical Report: Giacomo Bernardi and Mahesh K. Marina. BSense: a system for enabling automated broadband census. Technical report. [pdf]
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi and Mahesh K. Marina. BSense: a system for enabling automated broadband census: short paper. In proceedings of the 4th ACM Workshop on Networked Systems for Developing Regions (NSDR '10), June 2010. [pdf]
- Whitepaper: An analysis generated with the BSense system is included in the Digital Scotland report presented at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, June 2010. [pdf]
Project: IncrEase, a tool for Incremental Network Planning
- Conference Paper: Giacomo Bernardi, Francesco Talamona, Dmitry Rykovanov and Mahesh K. Marina. IncrEase: A Tool for Incremental Planning of Rural Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Networks. In the proceedings of the IEEE GLOBECOM work- shop on Rural Communications (RuralComm). December 2011. [pdf]
Old and personal links: